In the early 1800s, Paddock Hills served as a way station for travelers from the East. They came via the Miami and Erie Canal, which ran along Ross Run (now Tennessee Avenue), or in later years rode the Marietta & Ohio Railroad to that station at Paddock Road and Tennessee Avenue. Greeting them was a vista of low rolling hills, flat cultivated farmland, woods, and fields of grazing animals. They continued their journey into Cincinnati by horse or carriage along the same pathways we use today, Paddock Road and Reading Road.
In 1903, the rural era ended when the City annexed Paddock Hills from the Blachly family. The name of our community honors Judge A. Paddack (note the spelling discrepancy) who reached prominence in the late 1800s. General Bragg built Avon Fields Golf Course, the Dante Evans Brown and Darrell Lane Play Field (former Paddock Hills Field), and the Tennessee-Paddock Play Field. Public buildings include the District 4 Police Station and the Avon Woods Nature Center.
The first residential development site was at Paddock Hills Avenue and Paddock Lane in 1919. In 1924, John Spilker purchased 60 acres and laid out plots for Paddock Hills Lane, Avon Drive, Westminster Drive, Bristol Lane, and Perth Lane. He built English Tudor homes and planted a poplar tree and a pin oak in every yard. Some of those oak trees still shade our walks. Development continued in the late 1920s with Egan Hills Drive and Sunnyslope Drive; by 1957 Clearbrook Drive and Springmeadow Lane and Egan Court were completed.
Much of the charm of Paddock Hills, which has been termed “Cincinnati’s Best-Kept Secret”, is due to the cul-de-sac layouts of our streets, the old stands of trees, and the variety of architecture. Architect Abram Dombar, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, designed many of the modern homes here.
Who lives in Paddock Hills? Initially many of the homeowners were Catholic. The second wave of people that moved here was predominately Jewish and they moved from Avondale in the 1940s. The first black families moved to the area in 1966. With the work of farsighted community planners and activists, “white flight” was minimized. Paddock Hills was racially balanced by 1975 and has successfully maintained integration ever since.
Today our community organization, the Paddock Hills Assembly, represents our interests in a variety of ways. We publish a monthly newsletter, The Paddock Press; generate a neighborhood directory; send delegates to the Coalition of Neighborhoods and other governmental bodies; host environmental workshops; organize cleanups; regularly award homeowners for excellence in landscaping; sponsor a Welcome Committee, an Environmental Committee, a Social Committee and other committees. We work with the Avon Woods Nature Center to provide interesting programs and activities.
Membership is open to all residents and businesses in the area.